The Pillars of Great Listening
- We listen with our bodies as well as with our minds. Everything from the way we breathe to the way we move plays a part in listening.
- We listen to both thoughts and feelings. In fact, the underlying emotional tone usually makes the loudest sound.
- Listening is interactive. We are all social beings in some way or another, and so we influence each other’s listening.
- Listening is selective. That means that we attend to what we think and feel to be most important.
- We are always listening to life. Life expresses itself in sound even when we are not aware of it. Listening is everywhere.